Sunday, June 29, 2008


So I am obsessed with the "suede booties" pattern I found on ravelry. They look like little Ugg booties and they are pretty much the cutest thing ever! I have started making them for several friends who are preggers. I am a little frustrated with the sizing though. I am using Bernat Natural Bamboo because it is soooooooo soft! I made my gauge swatch and found I needed to use much smaller needles. I decreased to a 1-2 needle as determined by my swatch, and started the sole. It was HUGE! So I decreased down again to a 0-1, and tried again, it was still HUGE. Sooo, I am trying to modify the pattern by casting on fewer stitches and altering the increase pattern, but I am afraid that it is going to distort the shape. Any suggestions???

I am still working on the raglan cardigan, so that is why there are no pics yet. I am almost done with the body. It is coming out really good so far. The body is a little boring, but the rows aren't too long, so it is tolerable.

My next "big" project is the Apres Surf Hoodie by Connie Chang Chinchio. I ordered the yarn from knit picks today! YAY! I am going to use the Palette fingering weight yarn in sunlight. I thought the pretty pale yellow would make a perfect light summery pullover. I can't wait to get the yarn!

I have a couple other projects I need to work on. My friend has been asking for the Anthropologie-inspired caplet, well, 2 of them actually, black and cream. Since her birthday is in August, I think I will make them for her. They are pretty quick knits, so they will be easy. I have a lot more bootie and hat sets to make, but I am discouraged with the uggs pattern, so I have been avoiding it. I am going to write a girl version of the baby boy hat pattern when I get around to making them!

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Raglan Cardi

This pattern was written for a s/m with measurements of a 16" neck and 13" around the arm using a bulky weight yarn. I recommend taking your own measurements at your neck and arm, checking your gauge for the yarn you choose and figuring out the number of stitches you need to cast on. This pattern is super easy to modify so you get a perfect fit.
After you figure out how many co stitches you need. Divide by 6 (you may need to add a sitch or 2 to get a whole number) This is the number of stitches for the two front panels and 2 sleeves. Multiply that by 2, and that is the number of stitches across the back.

Yarn: Bernat Softee Chunky in True Taupe
Needle: Size 10 1/2 circular
Gauge: 3sts and 4rows=1in on size 10 1/2 needles.

pm: place marker
sl1: slip 1 stitch
raglan increase: *K to marker, yo, sl marker, k1 yo* repeat from *

Cast on 48 sts
row 1: sl1, k1p2, k2p2 across to 4 sts to end, k2p1, sl1
row 2: p across to last st, k.
repeat these 2 rows 4 more times.

Setup for raglan increases:
row 1: k
row 2: p8, pm, p8, pm, p16, pm, p8, pm, p8
Raglan increases:
row 1: sl1*k to 1st marker ri, k to next marker* repeat from * to last st. Sl1.
row 1: purl.
Repeat rows 3 & 4 until 39 sts on front panel and sleeve sections (or no of sts calculated from your gauge and measurements) ending with purl row

Seperate sleeves from body:

sl1, k to 1st marker. Place sleeve sts on scrap yarn. k across back to next marker, place these sleeve sts on another scrap yarn. k to last st. Sl1.

Row 1: sl1, k to last st, sl1
Row 2: p
Repeat these 2 rows for 90 rows, or until piece reaches desired length.

Bottom edging:
Row 1: sl1, k1p2, k2p2 rib to last 4 sts, k2p1, sl1
Row 2: p2k2 across to last stitch, k.
repeat these 2 rows 4 more times.
BO all sts.

Place sts for first sleeve from scrap yarn onto needles
Work in stockinette stitch until sleeve reaches desired length.
Switch to k2p2 rib for 10 rows. BO all sts.
Repeat for 2nd arm.

Button bands:
Pick up all sts along edge of left front panel
work in k2p2 rib for 8 rows.
BO all sts.
Repeat for r side.

Weave in ends and block.

I chose to use snaps up the button bands and sew a decorative button over the snap. Call it laziness, call it fear of math, but I didn't want to risk screwing up the spacing between buttons making button holes! If anyone figures out a good revision with buttonholes on the button band, please let me know, and I'll post it for everyone!